Sunday, December 13, 2009

Found on eBAY: Maireener Shells – Australia WA

Interestingly here, the seller also says that "These shells sell for between $2000 and $3000 for a 180 centimetre strand in Australian art galleries." This in combination with other text (see image above) seems to suggest that it is Aboriginal authenticity (evidenced or other) that will be lending value to this item. It is worth noting that the shell necklaces that are bringing the prices suggested here are generally made by contemporary Tasmanian Aboriginal women who are carrying forward a family and cultural tradition. The provenance, and thus the necklace's authenticity, is absolutely clear here. This plus the quality of the necklaces combine and is reflected in the values attributed to them.
The problem that needs to be acknowledged with these items when sold as 'collectibles' and described as either "antique" or "vintage" is that new and unfolding information suggests that circumstantial evidence is by-and-large insufficient to assert Aboriginal authenticity.

If there is clear provenance, and there is within Tasmanian Aboriginal families, circumstance and oral histories can be relied upon to assert authenticity – see earlier posts. The shell necklaces made by Tasmanian Aboriginal people are now regarded as "Cultural Heritage Icon" status in Tasmania but this depends upon Aboriginal authenticity.

The seller here relies upon museums holding such necklaces in their collections thus by implication suggesting that this can be relied upon in underwriting authenticity. For many of these 'museum necklaces' there is indeed clear authenticity – generally contemporary examples with named makers. Nonetheless, there are some necklaces in various museums – Australia & elsewhere possibly – for which their authenticity is ambiguous.

None of this takes anything away from the quality of the shells or the visual aesthetic appeal of these necklaces. If their 'value' depends on this alone there is no problem. Something is always worth what is paid for on this criteria! However, if value depends upon 'Aboriginal authenticity' there are unresolved issues to be addressed. This is a work in progress.

SOLD
Bidding Ended: 23 Dec, 2009 @ 01:59:01 AEDST
2 Bids & Winning Bid: AU $91.50

1 comment:

Ray said...

It is now very clear that the internet is increasingly spreading information about these necklaces AND VERY QUICKLY ... eBAY seems to be the key vector and there is quite a bit of misinformation to be found and some has quite liberal sprinklings of poetic licence ... On other occassions it is simply misinterpretation ... A friend wrote to this seller to say ”you seem to have done a bit of research” and that a "Google search would lead to this site" ... And that there is “quite a different story about these necklaces if you actually go back through the site” ... Also asking if they had “any specific provenance that IDs these shells as being of Aboriginal origin”

THE SELLER'S RESPONSE AS REPORTED BEST PUTS THE PARAGIGM ALL THIS IS GOING ON WITHIN: I have no documentation to prove these shells were gathered and strung by indigenous Australians. What I have been told is that they belonged to an elderly english woman. The indigenous Palawa women of Tasmania hold strict cultural heritage rights to collect the shells and sell them. Having studied the pictures of these shells around the web I am in no doubt that they are Palawa/Marineer shells.Although I am new to them and going on the stories I have read of them.It is also known to me that Australian's of European origin would buy these strings of shells and send them to relatives in Europe as gifts which is probably why they were in the possesion of the elderly lady of English origin.The bracelet is strung to fit the wrist of a young girl , if they belonged to an elderly woman I would speculate that she owned them since childhood, the beads and catch also seem to be antique. In my own opinion, if a shell poacher were to visit Tasmania and pick shells themselves they would surely string a large amount together for a better price. Besides I live in Western Australia and bought the shells from a woman in America who bought them at a deceased estate auction. Again I say anyone contemplating buying these shells should study the pictures and read the description. The reason I bought these shells myself was that I desired to compare them with other shells similar to Marineer/Palawa in my possesion which are not from Tasmania. Now that I have done so I no longer have a need for them. Indeed it is always useful to research the shells on the net and to truly understand thier important cultural significance. I am of Indigenous origin but I cannot provide documentation for the shells, may the pictures I have provided speak for themselves. If I could provide a signed declaration from one of the Indigenous Tasmanian families who have cultural rights to collect and sell these shells I would be asking a much higher price indeed.

A 2nd RESPONSE: "I would reword my description but cant be bothered spending another six dollars doing so, if anyone is serious then I will answer questions. I'm not useing the fact that they sell for 2000 to 3000 in galleries ( just passing interest) to bump the price up. I am sellig on only asthetic value. If I had documentation for these I would be asking gallery prices but I dont. So who ever bids and wins does so of thier own will, it is the buyers choice at the end of the day. One thing is for sure, they are without a doubt Marineer shells. And the knowledge I have is they are at least 50 to sixty yrs old considering they belonged to an elderly woman but are strung for a child.As well as the catch being antique and also the beads glass antique.As an antique I am quite comfortable to start my bids at $90 Aust. I think I have been quite up front with the facts and pictures provided. I didnt know the website you gave me had the legal authority to post my pictures there without permission. Guess I am behind the times.
Between you and I ,I tell youthe Palawa womaen are picking those shells to extinction and making alot of money doing it, I think they should be setting up an aquaculture bussiness and growing the shells themselves. After the shells are taken seaweed presumably dies also which depend on the Mariners to clean them of algae."